.................................................
Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Trip-tastic! pt.1

You remember those times when you would go home from a holiday break? As soon as you walk in the doors of the home you grew up in, you can let out a sigh of relief knowing that whatever happened before this moment doesn't matter. You are now home and safe. Using the permanant support system that is your family to wash away all the mental worries in your life. All those times when you doubt who you are. All the reasons you hate yourself and how you are percieved by the world around you. That all seems insignificant now that. And for one second, you feel like the world is revolving around you. This whole place was made for you. Catering and complimenting your every need. Feels like you are now back to where you came from. From where you belong. It doesn't matter how long you were gone or how far you were... you are whole again.

shit.

That's about like 1/100000ths of what I felt when I visited my Dad and other family members that I don't usually see much. Hell, it's been about 2 years since I came to visit. And even though it's been that long and things have changed, the feeling is still there.

If you know me well, then you would know how much emphasis I put on family. I'm Hispanic, of course you should know! I need at least one of them to function on a daily basis. (ugh... now that my sis had stolen my old computer, she won't come by my apartment as often. ::tear::)

Sometimes I feel like a floating balloon. Up in the air, I drift higher and higher. But it's my family that prevents me from flying away to oblivion. Keeping me grounded.

Oh man, the Dad's side of the family has changed alot. My brothers and sisters are much older. Aunts are married. Uncles in the courthouse. It's all craziness. And it was nice to go back and remember where I came from. I would say that my Dad's side of the family has molded what kind of person I am today. I spent only a few years with them, but it was in the years where a child learns and retains the most information about the world surrounding him.

When I think of what a grandpa does, I think of a guy who bought himself up from nothing. Marrying a 15 year old girl at 19. Being an only child himself, he starts to have nine children to fill the void of family in his life. He works many, many jobs to support this growing family. And he moves the whole family from the big city to a small town when he saves up enough money to start his own buisness. This one buisness grows to become multiple venues all catering to the rich, prosporous culture he is from. He is a selfmade millionaire. The America dream. Retires at 50 and now is forever giving you a lecture on life.

A grandmother is the epotime of all that is maternal. She commands attention. There is a story about when I was born. She marchs into the hospital in dark gaudy sunglasses and a brightly colored scarf. You can hear her hard heels knocking on the floor from down the hall. Her wild curly black hair in a bun as she throws her sunglasses in her huge bottomless peppermint-scented purse. Saying "Where's my grandson?!" But she's not that one-dimensional. She likes videogames and playing the Lottery. She has never worked a day in her life till she was around 50, and the only reason she started was to fill her appetite for her gambling and her precious AOL subscription. She has worn the same Tea Rose perfume since the dawn of time. She probably can run a marathon even thought she doesn't look like she can.

Aunts can only be described as 'kookie.' There really isn't any other word you can use. And they are all teachers.

Uncles are lawyers.

Wow... I didn't even talk about my trip at all! I guess I'll have to do it in parts. There's so much I have to say about it. All I can say right now is that I had to make this trip count. I don't know when I'll see them again. My life is hectic and filled with obligations.

It was really nice to 'come up for air' on this trip. And I think I accomplished alot and more than my minimum expectations. On the next post I'll take you guys into my many, many siblings and the adventures I had on this trip.

Image hosting by PhotobucketIn the meantime I'll leave you with this picture of my sis, Samantha. The shirt is priceless.



posted at 1:52 AM | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




=about me=

Welcome to Frank's blog-- egocentrically yours! I'm a college graduate from Dallas, Texas. Get some insight on frank. Learn the frank. Know the frank. Apply the frank to real-life situations. Praise the frank.


=the good stuff=

=previous posts=

=archives=

Site Meter
maystar designs | maystar designs | maystar designs
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com